"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Tower Gazing: A Reflection for Ascension Day


          I remember several years ago the debates in the news about the alternatives for rebuilding at Ground Zero in New York City. There was talk about creating an empty space there as a memorial to the victims of 9/11; there were those who wanted to rebuild exact copies of the Twin Towers; there were people who worried about the cost of it all; there were others who objected to anything being done that would disturb the sacred ground where so many had died; and there were many who were afraid that whatever they built would become a huge target for further terrorist attacks. Remembering those debates, I was interested to see on the news this week that a new tower is almost completed at One, World Trade Center. This tower is in addition to the two pools of remembrance, immense fountains that pour somberly down into the black abyss of the Twin Towers’ foundations. It is in addition to an underground museum dedicated to telling the story of the victims’ lives. This new tower instead rises toward the heavens, and, topped by a huge spire, will once again be the tallest building in North America. While the pools and the museum are a tribute to the past, a memorial to the victims, and a way of continuing to learn from the tragedy of September 11, the new tower is a clear symbol of power and hope. With the completion of construction, the people who move into the new space with their offices, will all take the mantle of power from those who have died in that place. This new tower cries out to the world that terror does not have the last word, that fear will not rule our actions, that we are in control and moving forward.

          Today we celebrate Jesus’ ascension, and searching for a contemporary metaphor, something less implausible than those ancient images of Jesus zooming up into the clouds, I thought about this new tower in New York. All of a sudden, I could see it:    

 At Ground Zero, the dark pools of water pouring down into the abyss are like the crucifixion, like “God-made-flesh” descending to earth, dying, descending even into hell. Alone, the dark pools and the suffering, dying God bring peace to the depths and give succor to our suffering, but there is no victory in them.

          The memorial museum is like our testimonies to resurrection. It gives us a new story by which to structure lost lives, a narrative of love that brings glimmers of life out of death. Yet alone, such a story is not enough to provide direction for the future. Mere glimpses of the resurrected Jesus wafting in and out of our lives to feed us or to lend a hand, if and when we recognize him, are just as tenuous and fleeting as the pictures and voices of dead loved ones given new form as heroes on museum walls.

 The new tower, on the other hand, is like the ascension, rising with power into the heavens, completing the cycle and overcoming the defeat. When we say that Jesus “ascended into heaven,” what we really mean—beyond the ancient cosmology of Jesus’ body floating up into the sky—is that God Almighty who allowed himself to be poured out into the world to live and suffer and die as one of us, has now not only shown us that sin and death cannot hold him, but has returned to a place of power and glory. The Ascension puts the Jesus that we know on earth back with the Father as ruler of Creation, in charge and in control of the future. The Ascension builds a strong tower. “The Almighty Lord, a strong tower to all who put their trust in Christ, to whom all things in heaven, on earth, and under the earth bow and obey: Be now and evermore your defense,” we pray in one of our collects for healing.

What difference, you might ask, does the Ascension make in our daily lives? Is it just a theological concept, another line in the Creed? Jesus tells the disciples that his ascension makes them into his witnesses, into “martyrion,” who are called to proclaim forgiveness of sins to all nations. I thought about these disciples as I watched the gaggle of reporters on TV gawking up at the hundred and some floors of this amazing skyscraper. I could imagine myself at Ground Zero, as well, first peering into the depths of one of those huge black pools. Lost in a sad reverie, I hear a voice saying to me, “Why do you seek the living among the dead?”

“Of course,” I say to myself as I shake my head to clear away the gloomy thoughts. “I’m like the women at the tomb, expecting death, when God brings Life.” Had I forgotten so soon? I preached on this at Easter!” Chastened, then, I look up instead at the tall tower, topped by a silver spire that shines in the sunlight, reflecting more divine Glory than the spires of the grandest cathedrals. My heart swells with hope for the future and with patriotic pride as I associate myself and my nation with the strength that this spire represents. Like Gollum who cannot tear his eyes away from his precious ring, I stand and stare, as if entranced with the vision of Power. Then I hear the voice again: “Anne, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This spire and this tower will be here tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Until it is no more. Your job is to testify right now and not to stare and gloat. Go home and wait for the power of the Spirit.”

Life under the shadow of the spire, like life under an ascended Lord, is less a life of pride and reflected Glory than it is a life wrapped up in God. We pray in today’s collect that Christ ascended far above the heavens “that he might fill all things.” As Joseph Britton points out, if all things “are now filled by Christ’s presence, then the consequence for Christian living is that nothing and no one can be taken as insignificant or of no importance. Our commitment to God means that we are also committed to what God is committed to: the whole of creation, as it has been filled by Christ’s presence.”[1] A spiritual director encouraged me just last week to put a sign over my desk that reads: “How is the transforming power/love of God being made real in the relationship/activity/task that you are now engaged in?” She encouraged me to examine in the light of God’s transforming power, all of the seemingly unimportant daily tasks, chats, and empty gestures that I shrug off every day as I long instead for a glimpse of Glory. I haven’t started this spiritual discipline yet, but this Ascension Sunday has given me renewed incentive. I’m going to look out—not up, not down—but out into the world, into a world filled with Christ. What, in my actions and interactions, opens, rather than closes, doors for God’s healing, reconciling, forgiving, and creating work to go on? Like the 26,000 iron and steel workers who forged the grand new tower, I have a role to play in the structure of the Kingdom, one small widget at a time.



[1] Joseph Britton on Ephesians 1 in Feasting on the Word, Year C, Vol. 2, 514.

No comments:

Post a Comment