"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Bearing the Cross in a Riptide

 

“If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me,” Jesus calls out to us. Really, Jesus? These words have been the source of a great deal of misunderstanding and unnecessary suffering among Christians. How tempting it would be to snip this difficult sentence right out of our Bibles.

Before you get the scissors out, though, let’s think about what we’re doing. We follow the Crucified and Risen One. We’re not going to be able to follow in his Way without death and a cross. Let’s make sure that we understand what Jesus is calling us to do here. 

First, there’s Jesus’s call to deny ourselves. As a woman, I know the harm that can be inflicted by telling someone that God wants them to give and give until she has nothing left. Women, people of color, and others without power in our world are often told by our culture that their job is to serve, to give, to stay invisible. They are told by those in power who they can and cannot be. In that way, they are shoved into a box, a box that tries to hide who they truly are: beloved children of God. As some of us have been reading in Bishop Curry’s book, we are each made in the image of God, each deserving of love. Curry talks about a time in his youth when he felt ashamed of his blackness. He later learned how oppressed people internalize their own oppression. Instead of hating the oppression, they come to hate the self.[1] Before they can be free from oppression, they must come to love themselves through God’s eyes, through the eyes of a God who calls each of us to become our true and beautiful selves.[2] Clearly then, Jesus is not calling us in this Gospel to submit to abusive people or circumstances.

 What, then, must we deny? I had a call to the priesthood when I was sixteen-years-old, yet I didn’t start the ordination process until I was forty-five. For thirty years, I told myself that women couldn’t be good priests, and that I especially was too nerdy and shy to break through the stereotypes.  Before I could become who I was created to be, I had to set aside the self that my society had molded in me. I had to deny the messages that had boxed me in. Before I could follow Jesus, I had to renounce and disown the powerful voices that dictated who I could be. It sure took me long enough, but by God’s grace I was given lots of “second chances.” Sometimes, to free our God-given selves, we have to deny the false priorities in which we are imprisoned.

The other mistake we make is to think of Christian self-denial in terms of a call to live empty and barren lives. Some people imagine the Christian life like a perpetual Lent, full of false piety and void of joy and celebration. When you watch Babette’s Feast for our movie discussion on Wednesday, notice how people are living on that desolate coast in Denmark. Theirs is a faith that preaches salvation through self-denial—even to the point of refusing to enjoy the taste of delicious food and drink. Before the arrival of the mysterious Babette, theirs is a sad existence indeed. Jesus is not asking us to live without joy and beauty. He is not telling us in this Gospel that we must renounce all earthly pleasure.

Make no mistake, though. The call to deny ourselves is still difficult, even if it doesn’t mean self-abasement and austerity. When Jesus calls out, “Deny yourselves,” Jesus is asking us to put the Way of Love ahead of our own priorities; to put Jesus’ purposes ahead of those assigned to us by the power structures of our world.  “Let go!” Jesus is calling. “Follow me into vulnerability, into a life in which you are no longer in control, into a journey for which only God holds the map.” Why? Because our vulnerability is what opens us up to relationship. Vulnerability is the path to joy and fulness of life.

And then there’s that looming Cross, the one that he says to carry on our backs to the place of execution. Here, too, we often misunderstand.  What are the crosses that we are asked to carry? Are they made of life’s misfortunes that God expects us to haul glumly around on our backs? My father suffered paralysis from a stroke at a fairly young age, and I still remember hearing my mother tell her friends with a sigh, “Well, I guess his illness is just the cross that I have to bear …” When the school counselor told me that my mother was wrong in her assessment, that God did not place that cross on her, I remember being confused. I could see the weight on her slumping back just as plain as day. The counselor was right, though.

When Jesus asks us to carry our cross, he is not referring to the various burdens that we human beings carry throughout our mortal lives: sickness, loneliness … or even global pandemic. God does not wish any of these things for us. A cross is more than a heavy load—it was a shameful instrument of execution meant for criminals. To carry my cross is to carry all that condemns me: it’s to carry all of the unpleasantness of my humanity, including my mortality. It’s to carry all the things that I normally try to avoid seeing or touching. To carry my cross is to take up my sin, my failures, my shame, my mortality—all those things that I can’t bear to see within myself—and follow Jesus on the Way of Love. To carry my cross is to be vulnerable to the consequences of faithful living.[3] It’s to put all that I am, entirely in God’s hands.

I heard about an image this week that might help us to understand our difficult Gospel. This image also speaks powerfully to our lives as we continue to deal with the effects of Covid-19 in our world. Think of the pandemic as a riptide.[4] Have you ever been caught in one of those mighty currents in the ocean? A riptide pulls your feet out right out from under you, doesn’t it? You’re doing your thing, swimming along just fine, and then all of a sudden, the current is carrying you out into the depths, where drowning is a real possibility. You lose control over your movements, overcome by the power of the waves. Do you remember what to do if you are caught in a riptide? What you don’t want to do is to try to swim back to the spot on the shore where you first started. In fighting the current, you’ll exhaust yourself, and will likely die. But if you give yourself over to the current, if you relax and try to get your bearings, you can let the tide carry you to a new place further down the shoreline, to a place of safety.

This image is a warning to us as we respond to the effects of Covid on our church and our lives. If we exhaust ourselves in a futile effort to “get things back to the way they were,” we just might drown. But if we stop trying to control the tide, trusting God to bring us along to a new place, we just might find the fulness of life for which we are longing. This image also can help us to understand today’s Gospel. Jesus and his disciples are also caught in a riptide, a riptide more deadly even than the Covid-19 pandemic. They are caught in a riptide of Evil, of powers and principalities that seek to destroy the beloved children of God. If Jesus had fought evil with evil, worldly power with worldly power, as Peter implored him, he would have been caught in the undertow of war and empire. Only by responding with the power of divine Love--the Love that no cross of shame can dim, the Love that no death can defeat—can Jesus bring us life. If we are to follow him on this Way of Love, we too must renounce our false selves and purposes. We too must make ourselves vulnerable to one another. We must stand up to evil by “being true to who [we] are and what [we] believe, and what [we] stand for,” come what may.[5] We too must travel on the divine current to unknown destinations, both dangerous and life-giving.[6] And there, on that new shore, where God plants us, we will find life, love, and the gift of beloved community.



[1] Michael Curry, Love is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubling Times (New York: Avery Press, 2020), 106.

[2] Ibid, 95.

[3] Dawn O. Wilhelm, quoted in Phyllis Kersten, “Lectionary Column for Sunday” in The Christian Century, March 4, 2012.  Found at Lectionary column for Sunday, March 4, 2012 (christiancentury.org).

[4] This image comes from Helen Svoboda-Barber, “The Pandemic as a Riptide,” video found at https://www.facebook.com/stlukesdurham/videos/332831514784945.

[5] Barbara Harris, quoted by Michael Curry, 109.

[6] Kersten.

No comments:

Post a Comment