"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Words from Zebedee



 The Third Sunday after the Epiphany

Epiphany 3A


Give us grace, O Lord, to answer readily the call of our Savior Jesus Christ and proclaim to all people the Good News of his salvation, that we and the whole world may perceive the glory of his marvelous works; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



Jesus saw … James son of Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee, mending their nets, and he called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed him.

          Close your eyes and pretend that I have a beard and a deep voice; listen to me as I imagine the words of old Zebedee, sitting alone in that boat, almost buried in a pile of discarded fishing nets.
          “I’m going to have to come in at some point, I guess, and try to get help pulling this old boat over to the shore, but it’s like I’ve turned to stone. I can’t lift my legs, and my arms just hang down like floppy nets on a hook. I know that people must be staring as they walk by, wondering what I’m doing out here in shallow water in a boat by myself. I know that Salome is going to get worried when I don’t show up for dinner. But I just don’t know if I can go forward yet.
Blessed Lord God of the Universe … O why? Why did both of my sons go away with that rabbi, that Jesus fellow? They didn’t talk with me about their decision. They didn’t even look back. What if they don’t come home? What if they get into trouble with the authorities? What if they end up like that wandering Baptizer and are thrown into prison--or worse? I don’t think that I could stand it,  Lord God. And their poor mother …. I couldn’t stand to see her bent with grief in the shadow of a Roman cross, looking up in horror at their twisted bodies.[1] No, Holy One! You couldn’t do that to us! I have been a good father, doing the best I can for the both of them, teaching them my trade, teaching them to live faithful and obedient lives. Please, the sons of Zebedee deserve better than the shame of a cross!
“Honor your father and your mother,” it says in the Words of the Covenant. How can my boys forget your Teaching? How can they forget me, and their mother? They are good sons. They have to come back—If I wait here just a bit longer, they will come back. They’ll be laughing about the joke that they played on their old abba, and they’ll pick up the nets again, and everything will be alright, just like it was before.
Were things really alright before, though? Things haven’t felt alright in a long time. Maybe I don’t blame my boys for wanting to find a new life. Fishing is such brutally hard work: Year after year, rowing this boat out onto the lake, tossing the nets out into the water and pulling them in, tossing them out and pulling them in, over and over, day after day, breaking your back in the hot sun or the cold wind or the dismal mists. And then there’s the net-mending. That’s just as bad. These big nets are always getting snagged and torn on things. So we keep tying the smelly old ropes back together. Such boring work. So tedious. It’s like life, though, isn’t it? Making, marring, and mending: over and over again.[2] Just like Creation.
Sons, you can’t escape the rhythm of creation! You don’t have to leave to find God! God is right here with us. But what happens when it’s so dark that you can’t see God’s face? The world’s a dark place these days, I’ll have to admit—much worse than it was when I was their age. Just look at these empty nets: even the fishing isn’t good anymore. Oh, we try to blame the weather; the authorities try to pretend that we are just imagining it. But I know what I see. The fish really are disappearing, and it’s getting harder to pretend. We’re ruining your Creation, God, and it’s all because of Rome, of course! Those bloody Romans gobble up our fish faster than we can haul them to shore. They say that in Rome, everybody wants their salted fish from the Galilee.[3] But what will happen when the fish are gone? The Romans won’t care … they’ll just go to some other poor place and eat up all their fish, too. Lord of the Seas, what will we fishermen do then? What will Galileans eat?
It’s not like we’re being paid right, either. Maybe it’d be worth sucking up all the fish from the sea if I were making a fortune at it! My grandfather was able to buy the rights to this boat with the money that he saved up. But me? I haven’t seen savings for years. With just two sons, I have to hire extra guys to manage the heavy nets, and boy, that eats up almost all my profits. There should be ten of us out here working together, yet we have to do the work with only five or six pairs of arms and legs. Father, if you had given me more sons, maybe James and John would have stuck around! Maybe I worked them too hard?
It’s those dirty collaborators, of course, Jews who join the Roman system for their own benefit. They’re the ones who manage the fishing cooperatives that we have to join in order to survive. They’re the ones who are making all the money! And the number one traitor of all is that nasty, power-hungry, puppet king, Herod. And he calls himself a Jew! He uses what should be our due to keep his power, to pay tribute to Caesar. [4] Herod and the Romans have the power. They make all of the decisions and take all of the cash. Me and my sons, we’re nothing. And we’re stuck being nothing, too. There’s nothing we can do about Rome, or about Herod, or about the fish prices, or about the empty nets. Sometimes I feel like we’re the ones caught in those nets. It’s like somebody has thrown huge nets over our beautiful Galilee, and we’re flopping around in one miserable pile, waiting to be hauled onto the boat and pickled.
Maybe my sons are right? Maybe it is too late to mend our nets. Maybe we just need to get up and throw them into the sea in order to be free. I know that you will save us, Holy God. The Prophet Isaiah even wrote about us, right? I heard it read just recently, and I remember. The land of Zebulon and Naphtali, that’s us.  There’s something about the yoke of our burden being removed and the oppressor’s rod being broken. There’s something about foreign army boots no longer tramping across our land. Maybe there’s something about the nets of oppression being lifted, too? I long for that day, Lord God. It’s way past time.
Maybe my sons are right? I’ve heard that this Jesus fellow is a miracle-worker who speaks with real authority.  One of the hired hands told me just the other day that he has cured the sick and even driven out demons. I know that people are curious, following him all around from town to town. Right before my sons left, I heard Jesus offer to make us “fishers of people.” Ha, I wonder if we’ll start salting and shipping off human beings for Rome’s dinner plates once the fish are gone?! What does a fisher of people do, anyway? What kind of work is that? Oh, it can’t be a real job. It can’t put food on the plate, anyway, that’s for sure. But maybe it just means healing people? Freeing people from demons, like that Jesus does? Gathering people up in your net, God, rather in than Rome’s? I’d go for that—if I could stay here with my boat, that is.
Maybe my sons will learn something from this Jesus and then come home to me. Maybe they’ll do a miracle that will put fish back into the lake? Maybe they’ll be leaders and teachers in the community when they come back, full of fancy words like Jesus? Yes, you’ll send my sons back to me, won’t you, God? You can’t expect a father to give up his sons, now, can you? After all, you didn’t make Abraham sacrifice his son. You stepped in and stopped him. Maybe this is just a test for me. Yes, a test! Maybe I should go see what this Jesus is all about. Maybe I’m not too old to learn to fish for people, too?  No, you wouldn’t expect a father to give up his sons. Not even You, Most Holy God, would give up a son, not even to save the whole world, now, would you?


[1] Tradition has it that Salome, mother of James and John, was one of the women who witnessed Jesus’ death on the Cross.
[2] Words used by Johanna van-Wijk Bos to describe the pattern of Genesis in class at Louisville Presbyterian Seminary, 2005.
[3] Don C. Richter, Mission Trips that Matter (Nashville: Upper Room Books, 2008), 99.
[4] K.C. Hanson, “The Galilean Fishing Economy and the Jesus Tradition,” found at http://www.khanson.com/ARTICLES/fishing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment