"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Remembering to Remember



 

Once upon a time during Holy Week, I was sitting in a meeting with our parish leaders, trying to figure out how to solve pressing church problems like fixing the broken lights in the sanctuary ceiling and convincing somebody to serve lemonade on Easter, when a bunch of kids from the Preschool rushed into the office, all talking at once. “Rev. Anne, Rev. Anne,” they cried, “the ‘Alleluia Box’ blew up and all of the Alleluia’s are gone!”

          “What?” I exclaimed, with a bit of impatience, as Vestry members all looked down at their watches. I knew that I am in control of that Alleluia box game; I am the one who locks up the word “alleluia” during Lent and frees it on Easter. It is a fun game, but I knew that the box wouldn’t really blow up. Goodness, kids’ imaginations!  But the kids were all in an uproar, so excited, all talking at once.

“It’s true, we saw it, we saw it!” they cried, when I didn’t react. “It’s just like you told us,” offered one little girl patiently, the way you have to talk to clueless grownups. “You said last week in chapel that the box would open and that all the alleluias would come out. Well, they must have come out and then flown away, because they’re all gone!”

          “OK,” I said, trying to humor the kids. “You better go back to your classroom. Your teacher is probably worried about you. We have to finish this meeting, but I’ll check on it later. You see, it’s not Easter yet. Jesus isn’t alive yet. So the alleluias must still be in the box. It’s OK.”

          The kids trooped away dutifully, with only a faint trace of disappointment on their still glowing faces. They knew what they had seen. They remembered the Easter story that I told them in chapel. The Vestry and I turned back to our meeting. Only one vestry member got up from the table. “I’m just going to go see what the kids are talking about,” he said, and dashed off.

          That’s how Luke tells the story of the Resurrection in today’s Gospel, isn’t it? A group of women, with the business of preparing a body for burial, are surprised to find an empty tomb and are told by angelic witnesses that Christ is risen. They run to the rest of the disciples, full of wonder and excitement, and their testimony is dismissed as a gullible flight of fancy. After all, in the first century, women had about as much credibility as witnesses as preschoolers do today.

          Just like Jesus’ disciples, we have the Story. We read it in Scripture; we recite it every week in the Creed: Christ is risen. God is victorious. Death is vanquished. Sin is forgiven. From that first Easter on, we live in a new creation. We are a new creation. We might say that we believe this story. We might try to believe it. But then we mostly go on about our lives as if none of it were true. We spend our days in meetings worrying about broken lights and lemonade. We spend our nights worrying about death or loss or failure. We live as if gathering enough security and enough possessions is going to make everything all right. Even at Easter, we get caught up in brunch menus and reservations, in decorating the church, in getting the kids or grandkids cleaned up for the photo ops. “Christ is risen!” we proclaim, yet it often feels like a game that we are playing, a game like locking up and freeing the alleluias. All of our preparation is for death, like the women taking spices to the tomb to anoint Jesus for burial. We don’t really expect an explosion of life, do we? We don’t expect that alleluia box to blow up. We don’t expect to see Christ. We don’t expect the world to change overnight. We’re pretty good at showing up at the tomb, but, like the women, even though we know what Jesus has told us, we forget to remember; we come expecting not life, but death. I was struck just this week by two examples in my own life.

          There was a video floating around Facebook that charmed me during Lent. It was an ad, actually, for the work of the Anti-Defamation League. Called, “Imagine a World Without Hate,” it portrays people picking up newspapers dated into the future. The camera zooms in on the front page headlines of those papers, which say things like: “Martin Luther King, Jr. Champions Immigration Reform,” accompanied by a photo of the Civil Rights leader with grey hair. “Anne Frank Wins Nobel Prize for Twelfth Novel,” reads another headline. “Matthew Shepard Leads Anti-Bullying Coalition,” reads another. “Yitzhak Rabin Brings Two Decades of Israeli-Palestinian Peace.” After showing what could have been, if all of the hope and promise present in these leaders had not been wiped out by violence, the video ends with the phrase, “If we all stood up to bigotry, we could change history.”[1]

          I was moved by this video, really moved. It made me think. What if all of these people had lived, rather than being assassinated or murdered? How would the world be changed for the better? What wonderful things would they have done for the world? But then, as Easter approached, I started thinking about Jesus. Wait, I thought, Jesus wanted to end oppression and injustice. Jesus healed the sick and confronted the powers and principalities. But we of course don’t ask, “What if Jesus had not been crucified? What amazing good would he have done if he had not died on the Cross?”

          I’m embarrassed to admit that it took me awhile to figure out the difference. I’m embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten what the Resurrection really means. There is a difference in trying to live lives that imitate Jesus and follow his teaching and in trying to live in a creation that has already been made new. It’s not “Jesus stood up to bigotry, so we should, too.” It’s not wishing for what wonders “could have been, if only we had behaved.” It’s not girding up our loins and facing death with courage. Living as an Easter Christian involves trusting that the real victory at the end of Jesus’ story colors all of existence, that the glimpse of abundant life seen in the teaching of Martin Luther King, Jr. is an unveiling of a corner of the new creation that already exists in the risen Christ, that the horrors of the Holocaust and of the hatred that killed Anne Frank and Matthew Shepard have already been defeated, if only we would quit reaching down into the old darkness and pulling them out of the pit. Sure, we need to stand up to bigotry, but not with the illusion that we can defeat it by ourselves. We love like Jesus loved because love has already won the fight.  

A seminary classmate of mine who is now rector of Calvary Church in Memphis alerted his congregation on Friday to a KKK rally that was going to happen across the street from their downtown parish right before their Holy Saturday Easter Vigil service. His advice was to meet the “death” across the street with “holy, intentional silence.” “Let Saturday's rally be the last breath of a group who[se] influence has vanished, gasped in the silence of an empty street,” he wrote.[2] Christ is risen. Bigotry can no longer win. Christ’s victory shines backwards into a KKK rally that is doomed to failure, bound only for extinction, no matter how loud the Klan shouts, no matter how many gather there. The tomb is empty. The only life is in the Light of Christ across the street at Calvary. The alleluia box is empty, and I am not in control.

          Later this week I went to visit the dying family member of a parishioner. I went into the hospice care unit with my prayer book and my holy oil, looking for death. I found an elderly lady whose body had just about almost shut down. It was riddled with cancer, almost visibly decomposing. I was there to prepare the family for death, to prepare the suffering grandmother for dying. I knew that in a few days it would be Easter. I knew that Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life, and the one who believes in me will never die.” I knew the Good News. But I was still preparing for death. What I found, however, was life. This dying woman was wrapped in a cloak of peace. “I’m not in pain,” she said, smiling the same patient, kind smile as the preschoolers in my office. “I’m not afraid.” But it was when I looked into her eyes that I understood. This grandmother’s pale blue eyes twinkled with life, with joyful life. You could light a thousand Easter fires from the strong life in those eyes. It was as if there were little angels in her eyes glittering and saying to me, “There is no death here. Christ is risen. Go and tell the others. It doesn’t matter what this looks like. It doesn’t matter if you are ready for life or not. It doesn’t matter if my body will soon be buried. The alleluia box has blown wide open and the alleluias are flying around out in the world. Go and find them! Don’t forget to remember the story! Christ is risen! The Lord is risen, indeed. Alleluia!



[1] http://www.upworthy.com/i-never-thought-a-1-minute-video-could-punch-me-in-the-heart-yet-here-we-are-3?g=3
[2] Chris Girata, rector of Calvary Episcopal Church, Memphis http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5472ab64f8f0fa71714dbebcb&id=056828bc4e&e=c55cac835b.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment