"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Dreams



        I had a strange series of dreams this week about babies. In the first dream, I had a new baby, but he didn’t require anything of me. Most of the time, somebody else was taking care of him, and when he was with me, he didn’t ever cry; he was never hungry; he never needed his diapers changed. He just slept soundly at the foot of my bed in a little crib. I woke up from this dream sad and disturbed, as if I had been deprived of something.
And then I dreamed that I was out walking in the field behind the church. It was late in the afternoon on Christmas Eve and was starting to get dark. I found a tent pitched under the trees in the very back corner of the field, and I heard a baby crying inside. Approaching timidly, I saw a young couple with tired circles under their eyes huddled inside with an inconsolable newborn baby. “Can we stay here?” the young man asked me with feigned bravado. “We’ll be moving on in the morning.” He must have heard the “let me suggest a good homeless shelter” speech from priests before, because he added quickly, “We don’t want our baby in one of those shelters downtown. You don’t know what kind of germs he’ll pick up in there. He’s only 5 days old.” I told them that they could stay—after all, who can refuse to help a couple with a baby on Christmas Eve—and then, quite brave and welcoming in my dreams, I invited them to come to the family service at 5:30. In the strange way of dreams, I then found myself transported to the packed church during the Christmas Eve service, and the couple with the baby must have accepted my invitation, because there they were in the “Jury Box” in the back, and that baby was still crying. Crying during the songs, crying during the Christmas Story, crying during the Eucharistic Prayer. It was almost unbearable. And then, all of a sudden, we weren’t in the church any longer, but we were at my house! It was still Christmas Eve night, and my grown children were home visiting, filling every bed in the house. They were all asleep. Yet, lo and behold, that young homeless family was there, too, right in the middle of my living room, with their dirty clothes that reeked of wood smoke and their muddy shoes, and that poor crying baby. “Where can I put them,” I remember thinking, “where they won’t keep us awake all night? What am I going to do?” I kept fretting to myself. “What am I going to do? If only this baby would quit crying!” And then I woke up, with a sermon to write.
At first, I thought of this crying baby dream as a wake-up call for me to hear and respond to the pain of the world. Perhaps. But I believe that there is more. When we picture the Holy Family and the animals and the shepherds gathered around the Christ child in Bethlehem, how often do we have the sound turned down in our minds so that we can play our own favorite accompaniment? If you are like me, you hear “Silent Night” playing in the background, along with the peaceful lullaby “Away in the Manger,” where “the little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes.” Even though we know enough to admit to the paradox of God being born in the roughness of the stable, surrounded by the smelly animals, the dirty straw, and the poverty of Mary and Joseph, we imagine Christmas night as a night of soothing peace in the presence of a sleepy, cooing baby—a baby like the one in my first dream, a baby who doesn’t require anything of us, a baby who needs nothing except to be born and admired.
Anyone who has ever been around a real baby, though, knows that there is no such thing as a baby who doesn’t require anything from us. I remember thinking, as a twenty-three year old new mom and seminary student, that I would go back to class with my newborn after the Christmas break. All I had to do was to put him in his little carrier and sit him down on the floor while I took notes, right? I’ll never forget that first day of classes. After a sleepless colicky night, as soon as I got us both dressed, he spit up all over his jumper. As I changed him, he peed right on my wool sweater. By the time I had changed clothes, his diapers were oozing, and he was crying again. I never made it to class.
If God comes to us as a baby, God comes to us as one that we cannot control, one who disrupts our carefully laid plans and schedules, and one whose cries demand our most loving attention. Rowan Williams puts it beautifully: “If God is with us as a child, he is certainly with us as one who calls out our tenderness and compassion, but he does so by an insistent presence without shame or restraint, crying and clutching.”[1] In the manger, our sweet baby Jesus was crying and clutching. Crying in pain, crying in need, crying for our attention, crying for us to hear him, crying like the Father must cry in sadness and longing for our hearts and for our world. Clutching onto our fingers, our hearts, our wills; clutching at whatever bits of transformable life come within his reach.
Today, God comes among us, pitching his tent in the back field of humanity, not just so that we can bow before him or invite him to church with us or drop him off at the homeless shelter. God comes among us to disrupt, to confront, to grasp hold of our hearts, to transform our relationships, to change our world.
May we all find room in our lives this Christmas to respond to a crying world—but also to a crying God--rather than being satisfied with a God who sleeps quietly at the foot of our beds.


[1][1] Rowan Williams,  A Ray of Darkness, 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment