"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Speak up, we can't hear you!


         Believe it or not, I did not always have the loud “teacher’s voice” that I have learned to use in church and in the classroom. As a matter of fact, when I was in first grade, my teacher told my mother that every time I wanted to say something in class (which, given my shyness, was not often) she had to get up and walk over to me at my desk and put her ear down to my mouth, so that she could hear my thin whispers and translate them for the other children. To top it off, I was taught early in life that a polite and well-brought-up little girl does not raise a ruckus or ask boldly for things.  “Don’t bother people,” I heard over and over again. Don’t call people on the phone unnecessarily; don’t knock on your neighbors’ doors; don’t ask mom and dad more than once for anything, unless you want a scolding. Perhaps some of you, especially the women among us, were brought up with these guidelines, as well?

       Even as an adult, I can still remember the horror of clinical pastoral education, when, as hospital chaplain, I had to learn to knock on the doors of hospital patients whom I didn’t know, making “cold calls,” with offers of prayers and help. I would stand outside each door as tense and afraid as if a fire-breathing dragon were waiting for me inside. Even now, making what I perceive to be possibly annoying phone calls to ask for help in the parish goes directly against my childhood scripts. It takes quite a bit of prayer for me to pick up that phone and ask you to join some committee, and I doubt that I am alone in this reluctance—just ask our brave stewardship committee members, who are fervently praying that you turn in your pledge cards so that they don’t have to call you and ask for money.

          Often, it’s the same thing in our prayer lives, too. We tiptoe around God in our prayers: “O God, please help me, if it is your will …. if I don’t somehow deserve this suffering …. If  you have time … if you can hear me …. if it’s not too much trouble …” God, however, doesn’t seem to care about our parents’ or our society’s rules or about any innate shyness on our parts. In today’s readings, God seems to reward both Bartimaeus and Job for raising a ruckus as they sit beside the Way, needing help and deserving justice. Surprisingly, both men are allowed to clamor for help and justice from God, to shout outrageously for God’s attention.

With Bartimaeus, the text is clear. He is a blind beggar, subsisting by asking for alms by the roadside, brushed aside and “beside the way.”  Having heard of Jesus’ powers, he begins to shout for help so loudly that he annoys everyone around him. With all of his heart and soul and lung power, he hollers out our desperate human cry to our God, “Have mercy on me.” I imagine that I would have been one of the bystanders who was looking at poor Bartimaeus in horror as he shouted at Jesus. “Show some manners,” I would have thought. “You are making a fool out of yourself in public.” But Jesus doesn’t seem to be bothered by the blind beggar’s behavior. Jesus does not hush him like the rest of the crowd does. Jesus hears him, calls him, heals him of his blindness, and pronounces him saved through his loud, annoying faith. Immediately, Bartimaeus can see, and he takes off to follow Jesus, on the Way, rather than beside it. His story seems to tell me that it is all right for me to clamor for salvation, for healing, for help onto the path.

          Job’s story is more complex. At first glance, it seems as if our text from Job is in direct opposition to my theory that God expects us to shout at Him from the sidelines. A few weeks ago in our readings, we saw Job, in the prologue to the book, sitting in silence on the ash heap in the face of his extreme suffering. Everyone except his wife seemed to praise him for his silence, for his refusal to curse God for his misfortune. In the middle of the book, however, Job does get to complain. He rails at God for his suffering, as all of the impossible “why” questions come pouring from his mouth. Finally, as we heard last week, God speaks in the whirlwind, bowling Job over through the majesty of Creation and the utter incomprehensibility of God’s ways. Today, at the very end of the Book of Job, though, it looks as if Job is once again reduced to final silence upon his ash heap. “Now that I see your majesty,” Job seems to say to God, with bowed head, “I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.”  Once he repents of his sharp words toward God, having been humbled at the fragility and sinfulness of his human condition, it then appears that God rewards him, giving him back family and possessions and a happily-ever-after life. Would God really restore our possessions, though, as a reward for silence in the face of injustice?

          According to scholars, God actually goads Job on to loud and energetic protest. Like we heard last week, God twice summons Job to get up off of his ashes, to “gird up his loins,” like a warrior and to look at what God has to show him. Then, in the famous divine speeches on Creation, God holds up to Job the examples of the monsters Behemoth and Leviathan: proud, beautiful, strong, dangerous creatures that God has made. Behemoth does not let itself be caught or trampled, says God. Leviathan has no fear and “is king over all that are proud.”  Human beings are also created to have power and dominion over their world, God seems to suggest. We must stand up and fight for justice, sometimes with God and sometimes against God, even if it means that we will lose the fight.[1]

Hebrew scholars point out that Job’s admission in our reading, “Therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes,” could well be a mistranslation. Without putting you to sleep with a Hebrew lesson, let me just say that Job’s final comment in verse 6 could read, “Therefore I retract my words and have changed my mind concerning dust and ashes.”[2]  In Genesis, Abraham also calls himself a man “of dust and ashes” as he argues bravely with God over the fate of Sodom—and Almighty God remains standing in Abraham’s presence. The human condition of “dust and ashes” does not necessarily produce silence and powerlessness. As 19th century Rabbi Bunam points out, “’A man should carry two stones in his pocket. On one should be inscribed, ‘I am but dust and ashes.’ On the other, ‘For my sake the world was created.’ And he should use each stone as he needs it.’”[3]       

 Perhaps God wants Job—and Bartimaeus, and us—not to take innocent suffering lying down. Perhaps God wants us not just to cry out for our own salvation, as Job and Bartimaeus do, but also to protest all innocent suffering and to contend with the powers that bring it about. I was interested to read that the Law states in Exodus that a thief who is caught stealing must repay his victim double what he took from him. That is strangely what God restores to Job at the end of the story: double the livestock and fortune that God had taken from him. When Job takes on the risk and responsibility for standing with and against God, God—who stole unjustly from Job-- is also perhaps the one who is being restored in the strange “fairy-tale ending” of Job’s story. What if God needs Job’s courageous protest against unjust suffering?

Concentration camp survivor Elie Wiesel writes, “Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there lived … a just and righteous man [named Job] who, in his solitude and despair, found the courage to stand up to God. And to force [God] to look at his creation. And to speak to those men who sometimes succeed, in spite of [God] and of themselves, in achieving triumphs over [God], triumphs that are grave and disquieting… What remains of Job? A fable? A shadow? Not even a shadow of a shadow? An example, perhaps?”[4]

An example for us each of us whisperers to take to heart, whether we travel on the Way or have been momentarily forced to sit beside it. An example that shows us that God is waiting for us to gird up our loins, to shake off our dust and ashes and to make our voices heard. Voices that insist on nothing less than mercy and compassion—from God, from ourselves, for ourselves, and for the whole Creation.



[1] Samuel Balentine. “My Servant Job Shall Pray for You,” in Theology Today, January 2002. Internet source.
[2] Samuel Balentine, Job, (Smyth and Helwys Bible Commentary, 2006), 694.
[3] Ibid., 698n.
[4] Ibid., 718n.

No comments:

Post a Comment