"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

It's Time to Build our Nest


       When I was in the sixth grade, I got a little autograph book for my birthday. Back in the early ‘70’s, these books were not necessarily intended for celebrity autographs, but you would get your classmates and teachers and family to write something cute and funny in there—the kind of things that people write these days in school yearbooks. Well, when I gave the book to my parents to sign, my father jotted down something sweet and comforting like, “I will always be proud of you. Love, Daddy.” But my mother, O my mother …. She pulled out a little poem from her well-worn devotional notebook, full of pasted prayers and inspirational quotes, and she wrote: “’To every man there openeth, a way and a ways and a way. The high soul treads the high way and the low soul gropes the low, and in between on the misty flats, the rest drift to and fro. But to every man there openeth, a way, and a ways, and a way. And every man decideth the way his soul shall go,’ Love, Mama.”
         I remember rolling my eyes and grinding my teeth in my best pre-adolescent girl way when I read it, thinking, “O come on, Mother, it’s just an autograph book—Lighten up on me, please!” And yet, that little poem in that silly little autograph book had a profound effect on my life. Against my will, it somehow stuck fast in my memory. After 40 years, I didn’t even have to look it up today to write it in my sermon. It made me painfully aware of the importance of my choices. When I would stand at a fork in the road, I would picture those words in my mother’s tilting and familiar handwriting, and I would remember what I had been taught at church and at home, and I would know that, even though I had a choice, the high road was the way to go. Sure, I was not always able to take that road in my life, but I knew which one it was and that I belonged on it.
          In John’s Gospel, the disciples, too, are presented with a life-changing choice. Do they remain good, faithful Jews, following the Law, remaining true to their understanding of God, or do they continue to follow the difficult, different, and dangerous Word that Jesus presents to them—a Word that is growing more confusing and more threatening to their old lives every day. It is a difficult choice that they must make, and according to our Gospel lesson, “many of [Jesus’] disciples turned back and no longer went about with him.” Peter, however, standing at the fork in the road, finds that he has no choice but to throw up his hands like I did in front of my mother’s poem: “Lord, to whom can we go?” he complains. “You have the words of Everlasting Life.” Realizing that he has seen the Holy One in the heretical rabbi from Nazareth, Peter knows that he must follow him.
Deep down, most of us here today have seen the Holy One in Jesus Christ. We have seen at least glimpses of the Truth, or we probably wouldn’t be in church today. Going to church is no longer the “socially acceptable” thing to do. In the 21st century, we no longer need to have our names in the roll books of a church for business reasons or to be accepted by society or our families. So unless your parents have dragged you here today out of your nice, warm beds to sing in the youth choir, you have probably come of your own free will, somehow hungry for Life or Truth or God. You have perhaps tasted Life in the mystery of the Eucharist, or you have heard whispers of Truth in the strange Words of Scripture, or you have met Jesus in the loving deeds of another Christian. We are not yet the disciples who have turned away. We, like Peter, are here because the Truth has hold of us by the scruff of our necks. Once we have opened ourselves to just a sliver of the Truth, it will continue to gnaw away at even the easiest and most attractive lies within us.
 The temptation for us today, though, given the difficulty of the journey, is to want to hold out at the entrance to the path of discipleship for as long as we can, without really entering it. Peter acknowledges here in chapter 6 of John’s Gospel that he is compelled to follow Jesus, but it is not until much later, after he has denied Jesus 3 times to save his own skin, that he becomes a true leader in the early Church … a leader who is eventually martyred for following Jesus’ dangerous, difficult Words. It takes him awhile finally to enter the path that he reluctantly chooses in today’s Gospel. Like Peter, it is hard for us to take the plunge, as well. Wouldn’t it be appealing to imagine the Christian life to be like a bird soaring through the skies? Swooping through the heavens, close to God, as free as a bird, going where I please, looking from afar at the troubles and traps of the world down below? Zipping into a community of faith and back out again, unattached, grabbing a bit of God, shaking Jesus’ hand, sipping a bit of Truth as reinforcement for my continued solo flight—Doesn’t that sound wonderful? 
The trouble is that we can only fly around for so long. We can try to put off the moment of decision, but choose we must, for we cannot spend our lives in flight. Even birds have to land, and where they chose to make their nest is where they and their young will live and die.  Our Psalmist cries, “The sparrow has found her a house and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young; by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts … Happy are they who dwell in your house… whose hearts are set on the pilgrims’ way.” Jesus says over and over in John’s Gospel that we are to abide him, and that he abides in us. Abiding is not like flitting through the heavens. Abiding is like building a nest, settling down for the long haul, making a place into our home. To choose Christ is to make our nests in him, to curl up and live—and die—in him.
At Stewardship time, when the Vestry and Stewardship Team and I start talking about giving a sizable percentage of your income back to God, I know that it sounds an awful lot like a tricky way of saying that St. Thomas needs a new air-conditioner. I know that when I call you and ask you to be an acolyte or to be on the Vestry, that it sounds an awful lot like I am desperate to get some job done in the parish. Yes, we do need money to run St. Thomas, and we do have lots of jobs that need doing, but truly—and I am being upfront with you, I promise—that is not why you should give your valuable time, treasure, and talent to any parish. You give these things to God, because the way to find life in Christ, is to build your nest in him. It is to drag all of the scraps and pieces of your world into Christ and to form them, painstakingly, into your spiritual home. To enter the path that you have chosen is to dwell in God in a concrete way—to make the rhythms of your life, God’s rhythms: to rebel against our fast-paced world and to take real Sabbath rest; to worship regularly enough so that you live consciously into the circle of the Christian year, from Advent to Incarnation, to Lent, to Easter, to Pentecost; to pray throughout the day so that your prayer structures your life.[1] To enter the path that you have chosen is to dwell in Christian community: to serve together with others, to serve together with God, to offer yourselves to Christ and to one another.
          Several years ago, I found that some birds had done an awfully speedy and careless job of building a nest in the running shoes that were sitting on a shelf in my garage. I obviously didn't wear the shoes very often, but when I found a compact little nest balancing in the empty shoe, with stray grass and straw scattered messily around it for good measure, I decided that I didn’t like sharing my shoes. Since the nest was completely empty, I deduced that the birds agreed with me, and I carefully moved the nest from my shoe and tossed it outside. Much to my dismay, a few days later I found several little blue eggs sitting forlornly on the shelf next to the spot where the nest used to be. The birds, apparently confused because their nest was no longer there, didn’t know where else to lay their eggs. The eggs never hatched.
          We are blessed. We know where we can lay our eggs so that they will come alive. We know the difference between running shoes and the tallest cedar branches, between the low road and the high road, between life in the world and life in God, between the flower that fades and the God that abides forever. It would be sad for us to fly around afraid or undecided until we drop with exhaustion onto a shelf in the garage. It is time for us to start building our nests where our hearts are already set.


[1] You can tell that I just read Dorothy Bass’ book, Receiving the Day, which will be the subject of our fall parish retreat in October ….

No comments:

Post a Comment