"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Seat at the Table


          Long ago, as a newly divorced single mom, new in town and with children aged 2, 5, and 7, I found my way to an Episcopal church, pulling an invisible suitcase packed full of needs behind me. While I might have looked on the outside as if I fit in, there probably weren’t many parishioners more lost, lonely, and spiritually desolate than I was. After each service, hungrier for companionship than for any food or drink or even prayer, I would drag my squirming children to whatever fellowship opportunity was available. With my toddler on one arm, balancing a cup of punch and a flurry of Sunday School coloring pages with the other hand, alternately prodding and luring my whining older children with bribes of doughnuts and cookies, I would peer through the doors of the fellowship hall and survey with wary eyes the groups clustered around the tables. Invariably, I would find happy families and friends huddled together at small round tables, laughing, sharing smiles, turned toward each other in closed circles of complicity, with little room for me and my rowdy bunch to slip smoothly into any group. Almost as a kind of dare, I would plop down at a totally empty table and busy myself with my children, waiting to see if anyone would join us. They never did.
          I think that those difficult memories are why I am so fond of Rublev’s famous icon of the Trinity. Instead of depicting the Trinity in the usual way, as a stately, white-bearded Father, joined to a crucified Son, with a chubby white Spirit dove flying around their heads, Rublev’s 15th-century icon shows us three angelic figures sitting at a table.[1] Called The Visitation of Abraham, this icon is based on the story from Genesis of God’s visit to Abraham and Sarah in the desert, disguised as three strangers. Abraham and Sarah welcome the strangers with open arms, bathing their feet and preparing a feast for them, and as the men leave, they promise the aging couple that Sarah will soon give birth to a son. Interpreting the Old Testament allegorically, medieval Christians saw these three divine messengers as a manifestation of the Trinity.
The Russian icon-writer Rublev paints them as three figures with gender-neutral robes and hair-styles, seated around a table that holds a golden chalice. The central figure, who represents Christ, is holding his hand over the chalice in blessing, as the other two look on. What is most interesting about this icon is that there is both an openness and a swirling movement to it. Christ is neither looking down nor out at the viewer but cocks his head clearly toward the figure to his right. That figure nods his head across the table to the other figure on his right, who, in turn, inclines his head back toward Christ, as the wings and background objects bend as if caught in a gently turning, circular breeze. The figures are not huddled around the table like the people in my old church fellowship hall, though, either, focused only on their satisfying and already-established relationship. There is a clear break in the circle, a clear empty seat at the table right at the front of the icon, right across from Christ and in front of the chalice. Anyone who looks at this icon, automatically becomes the fourth person at the Table and is caught up in the circular fellowship of the other Three. This Trinity excludes no one from its conversation; if our whole congregation were to look at the icon at once, we would all be with the others at the Table.
There is in an increasing isolation and distance in our modern lives, I find, that encompasses more than lonely single mothers at church. Technology allows us to communicate without openness, both to love and to hate from a distance. When I’m waiting for a plane in the airport now, I no longer seek to connect with my fellow travelers. I no longer even look at them. Instead, I poke at my I-phone and check my mail or the latest weather alerts. Everyone else is doing the same thing. The last time that I taught Sunday School to young third and fourth graders, I was surprised to look out to find them all pressing buttons on their I-pod Touches, rather than engaging in the lesson. When I want to reach out to my beloved children or to you, my dear parishioners, I can send heartfelt greetings with an email or a text, greetings that do not share my voice or my person or even the personal loops and squiggles of my unique penmanship. With technology, we can even kill and destroy from a distance now, a sniper’s bullet from a fancy gun or bombs from a computer-driven drone, making human hatred impersonal and mechanical and therefore somehow more acceptable. These days, we desperately need the Doctrine of the Trinity, not so much to describe the perfect recipe that will whip us up a serving of Divine Being, but to keep us from clustering around tables closed by technology and distance, as well as by plain old human insularity.
Not only do we tend to exclude one other in our human communities, but we tend to shut out the openness and movement within God, as well. Looking at God from our human vantage point is like looking at the earth from outer space and seeing a solid, multicolored rubber ball, lost in the darkness of the universe. From space, we cannot see the busy life, the dizzying relationships, the movement of the oceans, the zigzagging paths of cars and airplanes, the flowing love, or the ever-shifting winds. Yet all of that movement, all of those relationships, is what makes the earth our habitable, living home. God, too, is not that solid, unchanging being that we tend to box up in our imaginations. Left to our own devices, we tend to scoot our chair up close to Jesus, turning our backs to the world and gazing only into our Savior’s understanding face, as we try to imitate his every gesture. Or we dive only into the mystery of the Father, seeking rest and security in the darkness of God’s “eternal changelessness.” Or we abandon ourselves to the movement of the Spirit within us or our communities, totally shutting our eyes to the equally powerful dance of suffering that is going on outside. Or we give up on a Being who seems to watch the world ineffectually “from a distance,” and we go sit at a table by ourselves, busying ourselves with our human lives and daring Him to join us.
The Doctrine of the Trinity reminds us that God is neither a changeless, distant object that we can view from across the safe emptiness of space, nor is God three friends before whom we can pull up a chair and visit individually according to our needs. Writes Rowan Williams: “Knowing the Trinity is being involved in [God’s own] circling movement: drawn by the Son towards the Father, drawn into the Father’s breathing out of the Spirit so that the Son’s life may be again made real in the world.”[2] If God is Love, then God must be movement, constant reaching out for the Other, constant exchange, constant and active relationship. Theologians have recognized this truth again and again throughout the ages. The Trinity is like Love, the Beloved, and the Lover, explained St. Augustine, so long ago. The Trinity, as Love, “supposes the one, the other, and their unity” writes modern theologian Hans von Balthasar.[3] “We are only able to love each other because the Father loves the Son through the Holy Spirit,” proclaims our contemporary, Richard Lischer.[4] Love both requires and bridges separation, differentiation. Love both binds and rips open. Love is constant invitation. Love both calls out and answers, “Here I am.”
In the book of Isaiah, God cries out, “I was ready to be sought out by those who did not ask, to be found by those who did not seek me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’ to a people that did not call on my name.” Can the Trinity be as vulnerable as the needy single mom peaking longingly into our fellowship hall? Can you see the Trinity sitting at the Table in the Divine Fellowship Hall in the sky, Christ with his hand raised in blessing over a cup of his own blood, whispering a loving “here I am,” to the Father, who whispers, “here I am” to the Spirit, who whispers, “here I am” back to the Son, as they wait and wait for us to join them at the Table, as they wait for us to take the cup, as they wait for us to cry out in response, like the prophet Isaiah, “here I am, send me!” as they wait in love so that Love can flow into the distant, empty spaces of our world?


[1] My description and analysis of this icon are based on Rowan Williams’ wonderful reflections in The Dwelling of the Light: Praying with Icons of Christ (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 2003), 45-63.
[2] Ibid., 57.
[3] Hans Urs von Balthasar, “A Resume of My Thought,” trans. Kelly Hamilton and found on a friend’s Facebook page ….
[4] Richard Lischer, Open Secrets (New York: Random House, 2001), 81.

No comments:

Post a Comment