"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Amazing Grace

I know well the cold flush of fear that sends its paralyzing ache into my fingertips. And feeling perplexed is a familiar challenge that nudges my mind and puts a sparkle in my eye. But why am I so rarely amazed, O God? My pale appreciation of the world comes and goes without internal fanfare. Your wondrous presence washes over me in waves, yet my heart lies buried beneath the hard-packed sand, a tiny sea creature sending only a few fragile, airy bubbles toward the surface. Am I so sophisticated, O Lord, that ordinary wonders do not phase me? Am I so spoiled by your loving care that I've grown as cold and numb as a long-time addict, requiring ever larger doses of grace just to plod dully through the day? Startle my soul, Lord. Pull open the arms that I hold wearily and warily over my heart, and let a warm profusion of amazement pour forth.

1 comment: