"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this." Rev. 1:17-19.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Despair



This is not my sermon for Sunday! Before I could summon the strength to open my heart and my bible in preparation to preach, I had to dig out the despair that has been growing in my soul ever since an early premonition that Donald Trump would win this election. Poets will find here mixed metaphors that I don't have time to smooth out ....  but I do know that they are there! :-)

So for those of you who need to wallow just a bit longer, here's the Bad News. The Good News will follow later:

The snow has been falling
for quite a while now,
frozen ash from belching
chimneys, and burning
towers, and sobbing
crematoriums covering
a landscape sharp and broken
as our frozen, fear-gloved
fists begin to dig and root,
scooping, scraping,
piling, pushing a snowball
like a frantic Sisyphus
on a mission,
looking over our shoulders
for an enemy
and building a monument
to hate, surprised
when it begins to roll
back, faster and larger
until we cannot stop it
yet I stand at the cliff’s
edge with my icy idle
hands and gape
as it lurches
beyond my control
spewing scraps of destruction
like blind wheel-spokes
that cut away the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment